Re: Constitutional, Parliamentary Issues (was Re: CFV: Non-freearchive removal)

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 07:52:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 01:49:00PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > It has not only been asserted, but proven through the quote of DC 4.1.5.
> > that is your assertion.  it also has not been proved.
>
> And conversely your assertion that Debian can't modify existing
> documents hasn't been proved. Since this is a matter of
> interpretation,

no, not actually.  it's not a matter of interpretation.

as i've pointed out before, constitutions are a list of enumerated
powers. those things which are listed are permitted. anything which
is not listed is not permitted. this is not opinion, this is not
interpretation, this is fact. the debian constitution does not list the
power of modifying the social contract, therefore that action is not
permitted by the constitution.

> I hope we'll all accept the secretary's interpretation when he makes
> it known?

even the secretary does not have the power to override the constitution.
in fact, as an office bearer under the constitution he has an even
greater obligation to abide by the constitution than ordinary members.

craig

--
craig sanders