Re: new maintainers

Hi.

I joined Debian at May 23, this year (1999). I know at least one
new maintainer who joined at June, IIRC. Old New Maintainer Team
did work at that time.

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.21.9912311133410.14999-100000@ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au>,
  at   Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:53:10 +1100 (EST),
    on Re: new maintainers,
 Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au> writes:

> From what I understand, it goes something like this:
>
> 1) There are lots of bugs in Debian

We are working to fix them, but we need more power, in time,
people, hardware, etc.

> 2) We've just added a lot of new maintainers (aproximately
>  11 months ago)

At least Some people joined in May as well as me. So 11 is
to long here. Maybe 5 or 6 from now ? (or shorter ?)

> 3) All these bugs must be caused by the new maintainers

This is not true. Very large amount of BTS reports are sent
to big three, but they are not maintained by the new maintainers.

> 4) Let's slow down accepting people until they learn what to do and
> the bug count decreases

There has been several months stopping, but the bug count does
not get decreased rapidly.

Some member in Debian repeatedly wrote that the new members
are not the major cause of the problem. Some members do the work
as a sponsor in order to get the new member's work into the Debian
(Stephane Bortzmeyer provides the web pages for this).

> 5) Plus it is getting boring handling so many applications anyway

The work of New Maintainer Team were heavy for anyone, I think.

We must improve the structure. Wichert sent the proposal for re-open.
I personally agree it, because Opening is better than Stopping,
even if it has some minor problems, that will have to be fixed
on the way.

> So, why is new-maintainer only a small (1 officially, 2
> unofficially) group?
>
> 1) They need to have some `trustworthy' people
> 2) These people perform a kind of "credential" check against
> prospective applicants
> 3) Maintainers can upload torjans and/or viruses thus the credential
> check.

Sure.

> What exactly does new-maintainer have to do?
>
> 1) Confirm your ability to generate a GnuPG/PGP key and your
> ability to sign it.
> 2) Confirm any information you've provided them (specifically
> a contact telephone number)
> 3) Confirm you know/understand the `Social Contract' and other
> things (e.g. DFSG)
> 4) Ensure the package you selected isn't already done
>
> Only number 3 needs to actually be done by the new-maintainer team,
> and even that is debatable.  The rest of its operations can be done
>  in some distributed manner.

Yes. I think 1) and 2) can be handles by some "regional helpers",
who are living in the same time zone/country as an applicants.
Wichert's proposal may admit of their interfacing.

 P.S.

I am a relatively new member, and maybe I don't get enough faith
from others, but I will work as an interface to handle 1) and 2)
if admitted.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>