Re: Proposal: incremental release process (the package pool)

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 10:39:21AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > This makes me think about dropping the symlinks completely.
> >
> > So we can have a real, physical pool of any sort, and all distributions are
> > simply a packages file with the relevant constellation.
>
> This makes it impossible for people with just a few GB of disk space, but
> not 15, to mirror only the version of debian they are interested in.

Or the other way round. This makes it possible for people to mirror anything
with a lot of flexibility, because all packages are easily available from
the pool.

Of course, not with our current mirroring tools. But a little perl magic can
distill any set of packages fulfilling some regex if the various Packages
files are available.

I agree that it makes it impossible to mirror "just unstable" with a single
wget or rsync invocation. But it would be an interesting project to write a
much better mirror tool, which now can exploit the full flexibility of a
packaging pool.

Of course, for a transition period, it is important to stil have the
symlinks, and I am glad you reminded me of this problem. However, this can
easily piggypack on the mroe flexible pool solution.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>