Re: Proposal: incremental release process (the package pool)

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 07:32:40PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:

> 3: To be nicer on mirrors, Working should at all times be simply
> a forest of symlinks into Pool, because mirrors can't handle the
> movement of a file (they just delete it from the old location
> and download it again for the new one).

This makes me think about dropping the symlinks completely.

Note that todays technology eliminates the need for a ftp hierarchy that
resembles the architectural design of our software hierarchy. Most people
are accessing packages through apt, web interface or similar.

So we can have a real, physical pool of any sort, and all distributions are
simply a packages file with the relevant constellation.

This also eliminates the need for the bad performing flat package hierarchy
in dselect etc. We could make up any hierarchy, it wouldn't need to match
any physical ftp hierarchy anymore.

We would have one pool for all packages, and a bunch of files describing
which package/version belongs to a certain distribution.

Thanks,
Marcus