Re: Proposal: incremental release process (the package pool)

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 10:45:42PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> So we can have a real, physical pool of any sort, and all distributions are
> simply a packages file with the relevant constellation.

I think this is an excellent idea.

> This also eliminates the need for the bad performing flat package hierarchy
> in dselect etc. We could make up any hierarchy, it wouldn't need to match
> any physical ftp hierarchy anymore.

I've been meaning to bring this up again. Someone had made such a nice
proposal for a better package hierarchy. I can't remember why consensus
wasn't reached, maybe because it would be too much trouble. But if this
package pool proposal is implemented it would be trivial to redesign the
whole package hierarchy as seen in dselect.

--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....