Re: new release process (package pool) being proposed

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 07:34:26PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> I'm formally proposing the release process that we have been
> discussing for over a year, known as ``package pool'', for
> discussion and voting. The discussion will take place on
> debian-project. Anyone interested should follow this.

I'd like to object on three grounds.

First, proposals without code are pointless. They're fun and all to
discuss and such, but they don't get results.

Second, this isn't enough information to vote on this. We don't know how
well we can do all this stuff until we have code, and thus any vote would
be shockingly underinformed. Major questions include whether any of this
would actually work, how much extra load this will put on our mirrors,
and whether it would disgust the ftp masters so much that no one would
bother maintaining the archive anymore.

Third, voting on `this is what these people will spend their time on in
future' is completely inappropriate. If it's really a better way, they'll
spend their time on it because they want to. If it's a bit ambiguous,
you can spend your time on it if you want to.

Cheers,
aj, who realises he's being a touch hypocritical here

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds