Re: Why "free" shouldn't have to mean "complicated"

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:45:12AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> David Nusinow wrote:
> > with the new package tags to make it. apt and aptitude/dselect/other
> > frontends still need to be patched to work with sublists of packages in
> > order to cut things out like web servers for the user. Knoppix is a
> > good start, but its focus really is more on the liveCD thing than on
> > being a desktop distro. Unfortunately, the really big missing piece to
>
> You are free to pick up Knoppix as basis and extend it to your desktop
> distribution of choice.  Maybe this would just contribute to the
> number of Knoppix-like liveCDs, maybe this would contribute to the
> desktop distribution.
This misses the entire point of everything else that I wrote that
you didn't quote. Having it outside the main of Debian fails to
serve our users, because our users shouldn't just be distro makers,
but should also include people who want to run Debian on their
desktops. We've already heard from these people, we should try to
serve them better than by shoveling them off on Knopper.

> > this as far as I can see is still the installer. After all, hardware
>
> So HELP!!!!!!!!
>
> The installer is a lot of work and it's depressing having to work on
> it.  Why?  You don't need it very often.  You don't use it very often.
> You don't need it in your day-to-day job like Mutt, vi, Emacs, gcc or
> whatever.  It's a pain, but it needs to be done in order to keep
> Debian being installable.  Please help and contribute to the
> installer.  Even if you only test the current work and report
> problems, that would be a lot of help, I assume.
>
> > autodetection and a pretty installer is something that many users have
> > been asking for on their desktops.
>
> Somebody needs to implement it.  Please help.
I haven't thought to in the past because I don't have a second
desktop machine, although now that I think about it, I could use
something like bochs to do so. I'll take a look at that.

 - David