Re: HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed Scanner and Debian

On Sat 26 Jun 2021 at 14:27:08 -0400, Federico Grau wrote:

> In brief, success with basic scanning after installing and selecting
> sane-airscan.

Excellent. That's what we like to hear. I have not yet come across a
modern device that has not worked with sane-airscan.

> Thank you Brian (and pabs that was trying to suggest this to me in IRC)!
>

> The ipp-usb package was installed, but not sane-airscan (in this test Debian
> build).  For completeness, below is the output of the requested commands after
> installing sane-airscan and rebooting (just in case to remove as many
> variables).
>

> It's unclear to me the relationship between SANE and CUPS in the context with
> a dedicated scanner (makes sense with a MFD).  Is configuring a CUPS
> "print-queue" required?  Not sure if there's a brief explanation, or pointer
> where can one learn more about this?   Clearly there is more testing to try,
> and I'll read over wiki.d.o CUPSDriverlessPrintinga.

There isn't any relationship between SANE and CUPS with either an MFD
or a dedicated scanne. There is a relationship if libsane-hpaio with an
MFD is used, but that is a long story. Part of it is on our wiki.

However, while printing and scanning are technically different, Odyx
made a good decision in bringing sane-airscan under the printing team's
umbrella.

> Also, is there any quick info on the link between sane_open() and
> sane_hpaio_open()?  Expect it's a registered callback function, but where?
> The SANE API docs seem more "front end" focused (e.g.
> https://sane-project.gitlab.io/standard/api.html#sane-open).

I don't do programming things.

> I'll continue testing functionality further, and hope to share more findings
> in the next week or so.  This scanner is replacing a legacy HP Scanjet N6310,
> which required a windows system.  I'm so glad to shed that dependency with
> this new unit.  Many thanks again!
>
> donfede
>
> # console output of test commands after installing sane-airscan, rebooting,
> # and connecting scanner
> donfede@bwing:~$ systemctl status ipp-usb
> ● ipp-usb.service - Daemon for IPP over USB printer support
>      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ipp-usb.service; static)
>      Active: active (running) since Sat 2021-06-26 13:24:57 EDT; 20s ago
>        Docs: man:ipp-usb(8)
>    Main PID: 1522 (ipp-usb)
>       Tasks: 10 (limit: 4571)
>      Memory: 12.5M
>         CPU: 84ms
>      CGroup: /system.slice/ipp-usb.service
>              └─1522 /sbin/ipp-usb udev

Exactly what one should get.

> Jun 26 13:24:57 bwing systemd[1]: Started Daemon for IPP over USB printer
> support.
> donfede@bwing:~$
> donfede@bwing:~$ scanimage -L
> device `hpaio:/usb/HP_ScanJet_Pro_3500_f1?serial=xxxx1234xxxx' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_ScanJet_Pro_3500_f1 all-in-one
> device `hpaio:/net/hp_scanjet_pro_3500_f1?ip=127.0.0.1&queue=false' is a Hewlett-Packard hp_scanjet_pro_3500_f1 all-in-one
> device `airscan:e0:HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 (USB)' is a eSCL HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 (USB) ip=127.0.0.1
> donfede@bwing:~$
> donfede@bwing:~$ airscan-discover
> [devices]
>   HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 (USB) = http://127.0.0.1:60000/eSCL/, eSCL

That's fine too.

Federico, I would like two things for my records:

* Conform that

     xsane "airscan:e0:HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 (USB)"

  produces scanning.

* Give the output of

     avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp

TIA,