Re: HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed Scanner and Debian

On Sat 26 Jun 2021 at 11:06:36 -0400, Federico Grau wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 11:39:24PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > On Fri 25 Jun 2021 at 17:47:55 -0400, Federico Grau wrote:
> >

> > > Hello Debian Printing Team,
> > >
> > > Please Cc: me on responses, as I'm not currently subscribed to this mailing
> > > list.  Advise if that's required.  Via IRC I am regularly present on OFTC
> > > #debian-printing (UTC-4).
> > >

> > > I'm trying to get an "HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed Scanner" working with
> > > Debian, but currently stuck at "SANE: Error during device I/O (code=9)".
> >
> > I believe this is a USB-only device. Please give 'lsusb -v'.
> >

> Thanks fore the feedback Brian,
>
> Yes, the "HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed Scanner" scanner is USB only.  Below
> is the output of lsusb and some other commands.  These were run from an
> 'older' T61 laptop (circa 2008), but expect that's not the issue given similar
> errors with other newer systems.

Thank you for the wealth of detail, Federico.

> # full lsusb -v output
>
> root@bwing:~#
> root@bwing:~# lsusb -v

As a user would have been sufficient for this command.

[...]

> Bus 003 Device 003: ID 03f0:5305 HP, Inc HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1

[...]

>       bInterfaceClass         7 Printer
>       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Printer
>       bInterfaceProtocol      4

[...]

This appears twice and is a strong indication that the scanner is an
IPP-over-USB (7/1/4) device and should be detected as such by ipp-usb.
See

  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

ipp-usb is a recommended package and should be there on the system.
Check that the service is active when the scanner is plugged into USB:

  systemctl status ipp-usb

With sane-airscan installed please give

  scanimage -L

and