HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed Scanner and Debian

Hello Debian Printing Team,

Please Cc: me on responses, as I'm not currently subscribed to this mailing
list.  Advise if that's required.  Via IRC I am regularly present on OFTC
#debian-printing (UTC-4).

I'm trying to get an "HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed Scanner" working with
Debian, but currently stuck at "SANE: Error during device I/O (code=9)".

    donfede@bwing:~$ hp-scan -g -d 'hpaio:/usb/HP_ScanJet_Pro_3500_f1?serial=XXX1234XXX' -s file -o test01.png
    DEBUG 21: before sane.openDevice
    error: SANE: Error during device I/O (code=9)

Both Debian 10 and Debian 11/testing 'bullseye' produce similar errors.
Looking to the future, my current focus is with bullseye and the Debian HPLIP
package.  Fortunately I have a spare laptop I to reformat and try different sw
stack combinations (haven't tried Ubuntu yet...).

Steps I've taken to on a fresh bullseye system include:
 - apt install hplip hplip-doc hplip-gui ipp-usb

 - add non-priv user to `lp' group

 - hp-setup -i # which detects the scanner via USB, and sets up a CUPS
   "print queue" using PPD acquired from the scanner

 - scanner is seen by SANE using `sane-find-scanner' and `scanimage -L'

 - errors trying to scan with SANE CLI command, both root and non-priv user

    root@bwing:/tmp/tmp.ueQEQr3jwg# time scanimage > test01.pnm
    Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
    scanimage: open of device hpaio:/usb/HP_ScanJet_Pro_3500_f1?serial=XXX1234XXX
    failed: Error during device I/O

    # enabled SANE_DEBUG_DLL, and see immediate "failed: Error during
    # device I/O" after sane_open of hpaio
    # no additional info from SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB

 - errors trying the HPLIP hp-scan CLI, as shown above

An alternative combination I tried was sane-airscan (eSCL) without HPLIP, but
that still returned an IO error.

Worse, limiting the option to explore the "upstream supported avenue", the
current Debian 10.10 is not supported by upstream (only Debian 10.8), nor is
Debian 11/testing.   Attempts to run the latest upstream HPLIP autoinstall
(v3.21.4 released circa 2021-05) on Debian 10.10 return "bogus" dependency
errors about packages that are present or available.

    donfede@bwing:~$ bash ./hplip-3.21.4.run
    RE-CHECKING DEPENDENCIES
    ------------------------
    error: A required dependency 'cups (CUPS - Common Unix Printing System)' is still missing.
    error: A required dependency 'python3-pyqt4 (PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x))' is still missing.
    error: Installation cannot continue without these dependencies.
    error: Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.
    donfede@bwing:~$ echo $?
    1
    donfede@bwing:~$

While I recognize this subset of the conversation may be 'out of scope for
Debian', I don't see an upstream VCS, and am not clear how patches would be
submitted to get that working if one were to chase that rabbit hole.

Questions for this group include:
 a) checking per past experience getting Debian supported with upstream

 b) if there's a "knob" to keep a fresh Debian 10 install held at 10.8 or
 older?

 c) has anyone else here used HPLIP with a flatbed scanner, and if so are
 there any further debugging tips?

Trying to narrow things down to the simplest sw stack possible, I've been
reading through `hp-scan' source code, which appears to depend on SANE (using
its own fork of the scanext C python module).

My next planned step was to continue looking through the libsane-hpaio.so.1
source .  While I'm not exactly clear on the link from the failing sane_open()
call to HPLIP, I expect it ends up in hplip/scan/sane/hpaio.c
sane_hpaio_open() :387 .

I welcome feedback if there may be a better path to identify where there jam
is here.

Reviewing the hardware closer, here are more HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed
Scanner details:
 - SANE support via hpaio - http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-HPAIO

 - hplip support (since v3.15.11) - https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

 - hplip support requires binary driver/plugin - https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/binary_plugin.html

Appreciate feedback so far from #debian-printing.  Similarly Brian P's wiki
notes have been very helpful.

thanks in advance,
donfede