Re: HPLIP 3.21.2

On 21/02/2021 19:39, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

OK. So I have now uploaded 3.21.2+dfsg1-1 to remove (again !) the binary
source-less files shipped in the tarball by upstream:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1916397

It seems that the quality we get from HPLIP upstream is not improving, sadly.
I'm pondering whether we should not remove it entirely from Debian/Ubuntu, and
rely (and educate our users) on Driverless only.

I've also filed #983263 to block a automatic transition of 3.21.2.

Opinions?

I hate this package, too, due to its coding quality. My thoughts for Ubuntu are making use of the new printing architecture, encapsulating HPLIP in a Snap. This way it gets into the Snap Store where everyone with any distro can grab it. It will only actually be needed by users of non-driverless printers, either legacy or specialty models, most general-use printers from HP are driverless, fortunately.

As long as HP does not switch to a Printer Application Snap I am thinking about an interim Snap retro-fitting the current HPLIP. Then distros do not need to package it individually as long as they provide snapd. Who needs it can grab it from the Snap Store then.

But as final solution I want that HP will maintain an HPLIP Snap. Therefore my Snap will have a modified name to keep "HPLIP" free for HP.