Re: Debian bug #789286 - "hplip: hpfax throws error about /var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip"

On Wed 05 Sep 2018 at 21:08:27 +0200, Daniel wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My mothers computer has been running Debian 9 for some time, and she has
> been complaining about being unable to print documents she has received
> via email or downloaded from the internet on their HP LaserJet 200 colorMFP
> M276n printer for some time.
>
> When I visited last, I had time to sit down and debug the problem, and
> it turns out it has problems printing PDF files, and that this error
> shows up in the logs:
>
>   /hpps[1984]: [1984]: error: Failed to create /var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip
>
> I then came across debian bug #789286 where it shows that
> /var/spool/cups clearly has wrong permissions, and the bug has been
> closed. Fixing the permissions solved the printing issue. Can this bug
> please be reopened?
>
> I also find it a bit disrespectful against the original creator of the
> bug report to just blame it on a wonky source package, knowing the
> permissions are wrong and ignoring the problem in a driver package, but
> that might just be me.
>
> The system in question is a plain Debian 9.5 Stretch, fully updated,
> with no non-Debian repositories or backports. The printer outputted only
> three lines of PostScript code on a paper with CUPS saying a filter has
> failed. Printing from firefox or qpdfview resulted in the same problem.
>
> If you need more information or want me to post another bug report or
> something, please send me an email.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this email! :)

Daniel - you haven't, as far as I can see, actually submitted
a bug report. If you do (and it is on the same topic) I would
suggest a subject line along the lines of "LaserJet MFP M276n
doesn't print". Or you can continue the conversation here in
debian-printing if you prefer.

Knowing which filter failed would be useful, as would having
an error_log. See

https://wiki.debian.org/DissectingandDebuggingtheCUPSPrintingSystem

for how to get that.

Regards,