Re: RFS: brother-inkjet-dcpj952n/3.0.0-2 [ITP] -- printer driver for Brother Inkjet printers

On Wed 14 Dec 2016 at 18:19:35 +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

[...Big snip...]

> - Some drivers need the "LPR" driver, which is not available under a FLOSS
> licence.

>From what I can see it is most of them for printing. For scanning it
looks like all of them.

Not only that but I think (from memory) the license has been reworded
recently. It always had

 Brother grants User a non-exclusive license: to reproduce and/or
 distribute (via Internet or in any other manner) the Software.
 Further, Brother grants User a non-exclusive license to modify,
 alter, translate or otherwise prepare derivative works of the
 Software and to reproduce and distribute (via Internet or in any
 other manner) such modification, alteration, translation or other
 derivative works for any purpose.

Which looks generous. :)

I think the recent change in it is

 Further, Brother shall have no liability to disclose and/or
 distribute the source code of the Software to User under any
 circumstances. In no case shall the above license by Brother
 to modify, alter, translate or otherwise prepare derivative
 works of the Software be construed as Brother's implied
 agreement or undertakings to disclose and/or distribute the
 source code of the Software.

Basically - you are by yourself; sort it out. You will get no help from
us!

--
Brian.