Re: USB printer needs physical reset

Brian Potkin <brian@copernicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Please read changelog.Debian for, in particular, cups (1.5.3-2.1) and have a look at the 'USB printer does
> not print . . .' section

Yes, it looks like that was it. When I had my older Debian I probably was running an older CUPS. Now it doesn't work, you have to unplug the USB cable and then go into the web interface to pick "resume" for the printer to go back.

I think in that changelog file they said that they made some fixes for one brand of parallel to USB converter, but that's not the brand I have. In the link you gave from Ubuntu, they tell you to try an lpadmin command. I tried all of them and they don't work. Unless, do these lpadmin commands not take effect right away (like do you have to restart the printer, or pull the USB plug, or restart the system)? I didn't try it that way, I just ran the command and tried to print after that. But nobody on debian-user seems to know anything about it either. I went to the CUPS site and their bug database is down. Is there a better forum for CUPS errors?