Re: USB printer needs physical reset

On Wed 03 Jul 2013 at 10:24:20 -0400, amber gilchrist wrote:

> Brian Potkin <brian@copernicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Please read changelog.Debian for, in particular, cups (1.5.3-2.1)
> > and have a look at the 'USB printer does not print . . .' section
>
> Yes, it looks like that was it. When I had my older Debian I probably
> was running an older CUPS. Now it doesn't work, you have to unplug the
> USB cable and then go into the web interface to pick "resume" for the
> printer to go back.

Can we be clear here: you are running an up-to-date Wheezy?

Please do the following:

1. Enable debugging with

	cupsctl --debug-logging

2. Empty the log with

	echo '' > /var/log/cups/error_log

3. Restart cups

	service cups restart

4. Print and then print again (the second print will presumably fail)

5. gzip error_log and send it here.

> I think in that changelog file they said that they made some fixes for
> one brand of parallel to USB converter, but that's not the brand I
> have. In the link you gave from Ubuntu, they tell you to try an
> lpadmin command. I tried all of them and they don't work. Unless, do
> these lpadmin commands not take effect right away (like do you have to
> restart the printer, or pull the USB plug, or restart the system)? I
> didn't try it that way, I just ran the command and tried to print
> after that. But nobody on debian-user seems to know anything about it
> either. I went to the CUPS site and their bug database is down. Is
> there a better forum for CUPS errors?

The printer should be restarted, but doing all three will do no harm.
Sticking with a possible USB issue: see if what is in bug #697970 helps.

Regards,

Brian.