Re: Merging the source packages for argyll and libicc2

Till Kamppeter, 2011-08-05 14:05:25 +0200 :

> Hi,
>
> I am introducing Color Management in Ubuntu and therefore I have
> updated the Argyll package. There I have discovered, that there are
> two source Debian packages, argyll and libicc which are based on the
> same source tarball. I want to merge these two packages to make
> maintenance easier.

  Actually, they've been merged already.  The argyll source package in
experimental generates the argyll, libicc-dev and libicc2 binary
packages.

> Problem is that the version number used for libicc is the API/ABI
> version number 2.12 which is much higher than the 1.3.3 of the
> upstream tarball. Ho should I proceed to make the resulting package
> being well accepted by Debian? Should I introduce an epoch?

  There's a hack in the packaging that results in the version number for
the libicc2 package to actually be 2.12+argyll1.3.0-3, even though the
source package has version 1.3.0-3.  I suggest you keep that hack at
least until upstream adopts good ABI/API practices, and then use an
epoch if needed.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Et c'est tellement plus mignon de se faire traiter de con en chanson...
  -- in En chantant (Michel Sardou)