Merging the source packages for argyll and libicc2

Hi,

I am introducing Color Management in Ubuntu and therefore I have updated the Argyll package. There I have discovered, that there are two source Debian packages, argyll and libicc which are based on the same source tarball. I want to merge these two packages to make maintenance easier.

Problem is that the version number used for libicc is the API/ABI version number 2.12 which is much higher than the 1.3.3 of the upstream tarball. Ho should I proceed to make the resulting package being well accepted by Debian? Should I introduce an epoch?