Re: Getting started with CDBS (Re: libgs9: please Recommends: (not Depends:) gs-cjk-resource)

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:33:04PM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
My first two CDBS questions:

- how can I list the makefiles involved in building a given
  target (e.g., debian/control)?  How does one find the corresponding
  documentation for those files?

I simply follow the include statements, and skim the actual code of those files included.

Documentation is lousy for CDBS. There is interest since recently among us CDBS developers in improving that. Nothing concrete has happened yet, though.

- how does one go about figuring out how to tweak some particular
  behavior?  For example, suppose I want to allow the "clean" target
  to run as non-root, or to set some particular CFLAGS in the "build"
  target.

You override variables.

Here's how to override for the foo-dbg specific build target:

build/foo-dbg:: BAR=baz

You most often cannot override targets. If there is need for that, the provided CDBS pattern file is unsuitable for you and you need to instead replicate relevant parts inside your rules file instead - e.g. not include makefile.mk but instead include makefile-vars.mk and express needed build rules yourself.

If you feel that some trick you do with CDBS is a pattern which ought to be more elgantly handled by CDBS itself, then please file bugreports :-D

Regards,

 - Jonas