Re: libgs9: please Recommends: (not Depends:) gs-cjk-resource

Hi Jonathan, and others,

I have replied via debian-printing@lists.debian.org - please consider reply there and dro all cc'ing, and please subscribe to that list if you are not already :-)

NB! more comments below the quote!

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 05:09:24AM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
Would it be okay for the packaging of gs-cjk-resource, which is relatively simple, to use debhelper 7 instead of CDBS?

My reasons for asking this are that

- in my experience, dh is much easier to debug without "deep"
  knowledge about the workings.  To find out what a given sequence
  does, there is "dh foo --no-act".  Each command in that sequence
  can be invoked on the command line and has a clear manual page.

- more people seem to be comfortable reading and writing using it

Either way, if there is any way I can help, I'd be glad to.

Your arguments are sensible, but detail missing is that _I_ am not comfortable with short-form dh. So having the packaging comfortable to you (and many others, possibly) means it is uncomfortable to me.

When I wrote that I "loose interest", it is an attempt at putting in a friendly way that I refuse to work with short-form dh and will therefore completely stop working on packages using that packaging style, instead spending my precious time on others of the pile of packages in need of my help. So feel free to insist, but please do consider that then you no longer just "help out" but take over the lead of that packaging.

Also, please note that the issue here is "CDBS vs. short-form dh", not "CDBS vs. debhelper 7": Debhelper 7 introduced the _ability_ to shorten, but classic long-form dh_* scripts still work and play nice together with CDBS.

So use of *.install, *.docs, *.link files etc. need not change, the difference is whether you use CDBS voodoo or debhelper voodoo _inside_ the rules file.

If you've noticed a tendency of CDBS packages using debhelper compat level 6, then the reason is another: easiest possible backportability to Lenny. Not using backport.debian.org but true independent backporting! When Lenny is dropped as security-supported release, I will bump compat level across the 150+ packages I am involved with.

I will be happy to help teach about CDBS issues if anyone is interested. It is not like "I have no time to deal with mere mortals" but more that I really love the way CDBS uses make and dislike how short-form dh reinvents make with its core "redirect any build target to debhelper" trick. So feel free to ask questions about CDBS, and don't expect to convince me that short-form dh is better for _me_. :-)

Kind regards,

 - Jonas