Re: Cannot get anything to print from GUI apps in Sarge

cga <cga2001@gmail.com> writes:

> Since the only printer I have is an ancient B&W postscript printer (HP
> laserjet 2100M) is it really worth trying to get cups to work or
> should I try to switch to something more basic like lprng..?
> Note: I use neither gnome nor KDE -  just a window manager and mostly
> xterm+cli.

Make sure that you have the CUPS client tools, cupsys-client and
cupsys-bsd, installed.

Try pointing your web browser at http://localhost:631/ and checking
the printer.  You should be able to print a test page.  If not, then
modify the existing printer, or create a new queue using the web
interface; you should see a number of LaserJet models.  You can just
choose the nearest, or if you install the HP PPD for the printer (on
your install CD, or download it) by copying it to
/usr/share/cups/model, that will appear in the list of available
printer once you reload/restart cups.  Once this is done, you should
be able to print a test page.

Let us know how you get on!

- --
Roger Leigh