Re: Performing dist-upgrade on powerpc and ppc64

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 1:14 PM Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi Adrian,

so you suggest to use powerful scripts.
Ok, got dget (from devscripts) and sbuild.
Added my user do sbuild group.

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> You can fetch the source from here:
>
> $ dget -uhttp://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20220801T085926Z/pool/main/p/python2.7/python2.7_2.7.18-13.2.dsc
>
> Then build the package with sbuild:
>
> $ sbuild -d sid --arch-all --arch=powerpc python2.7_2.7.18-13.2.dsc

So sbuild complaints I need a chroot environment. I guess that helps
with build-dependencies only being temporary installed for the build, as
opposite to use dpkg-buildpackage directly?

How can I best chreate the chroot, best would be it using by local apt
cache perhaps, I'm unsure.

Take in account this is on an iBook G4, so not a server with big space.

I think I need the correct setup for sbuild-createchroot ? What
parameters do you suggest or used on your local system?

I am skimming through a debian guide [1] and perhaps Using
/var/cache/apt/archives/ as package cache is a good idea?

[1]
https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild#Automatic_setup_using_sbuild-debian-developer-setup

In the old days, you could setup a chroot for PowerPC using the following. I think it still works, but I recall something about using qemu-debootstrap nowadays.

qemu-debootstrap --arch=powerpc --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-ports-archive-keyring.gpg \
  --variant=buildd --exclude=debfoster unstable debian-powerpc http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports

The Debian host can use any flavor of Debian. I usually use Stable for the host.

The Debian chroot guest must use Unstable. Once you create the chroot guest, open the guest's /etc/apt/sources.list and change it to Unstable.

Jeff