Re: missing rebuild of dovecote-imapd-dbgsym?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2022-08-22 at 07:10 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Are debug symbols on powerpc for the recent dovecot security advisory
>> missing, or am I doing something wrong?
>>  dovecot-imapd-dbgsym : Depends: dovecot-imapd (= 1:2.3.13+dfsg1-2+deb11u1) but 1:2.3.13+dfsg1-2 is to be installed
>
> As far as I know powerpc isn't supported for Debian stable nor the
> Debian security updates archive.

Interesting -- where can I read about that?  The release notes says that
ppc64el is an officially supported architecture for Debian 11:

https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/ppc64el/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#idm120

I don't see any warning about ppc64el being a non-supported architecture
when downloading official installer images, nor when download
cloud-images:

https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/

> Also the +deb11u1 version of the package isn't in the Debian security
> updates archive, only the main Debian archive in the
> stable-proposed-updates suite.

Ah, right, my mistake.

> What do your apt sources look like?

This is what the cloud-image installed for me:

root@pippi:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main
root@pippi:~#

This is a local customization:

root@pippi:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debug.list
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug/ bullseye-debug main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug/ bullseye-proposed-updates-debug main
root@pippi:~#

Thanks, you helped me find the problem -- after removing the
bullseye-proposed-updates-debug line all packages installed fine.  I
guess somehow apt preferred the version from b-p-u-d compared to what's
in b-d and failed.

The reason I used the above lines came from the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages

It says I should use proposed-updates-debug to get debug symbols for
stable security updates, which is something I want.

Isn't the problem that somehow the package from
bullseye-proposed-updates-debug was prefered over the one from
bullseye-debug?  For security updates you want that, for updates to
stable you don't want that.  Maybe there should be a
bullseye-updates-debug distribution?

> What is the architecture of your system? Run dpkg --print-architecture

ppc64el

/Simon