Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images

Hi Adrian,

On Fri, 2022-03-25 at 12:20 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> On 3/25/22 11:58, Peter van Zaanen wrote:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-24/
> >
> > works without a problem, and my iBook boots and starts loading the
> > kernel. I added linux-firmware-nonfree, but it boots to a
> > completely
> > black screen. I can only access the iBook via ssh.
>
> Yes, that's a known issue, you have to install the AMD graphics
> package manually:
>
> # apt install firmware-amd-graphics
>
> Make sure that the filesystem in /boot/grub is mounted read/write, it
> can sometimes
> happen that the filesystem gets corrupted such that it gets mounted
> read-only.
>
> You need to install hfsprogs in this case, run fsck.hfs and remount
> the filesystem rw:
>
> # apt install hfsprogs
> # umount /boot/grub
> # fsck.hfs -y /dev/sda2 (for the case that /boot/grub came from
> /dev/sda2)
> # mount /dev/sda2 /boot/grub
>
> After that, run update-grub:
>
> # update-grub
>
> After rebooting, graphics should work.
>
> FWIW, you can also boot the machine with "nomodeset" added to the
> command line
> in GRUB in case SSH is not available.
>
> Future images will install the graphics firmware automatically.

After following these steps, and with the latest image from
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-28/
which installs fine btw, the screen stays blank.

Adding nomodeset to Grub enables me to boot to a login screen, but then
after installing a desktop environment startx will fail with an error
related to nomodeset. (it did in my previous install, I haven't tried
to install a graphical environment this time.)

Peter