Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images

Hi Peter!

On 3/25/22 11:58, Peter van Zaanen wrote:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-24/
>
> works without a problem, and my iBook boots and starts loading the
> kernel. I added linux-firmware-nonfree, but it boots to a completely
> black screen. I can only access the iBook via ssh.

Yes, that's a known issue, you have to install the AMD graphics package manually:

# apt install firmware-amd-graphics

Make sure that the filesystem in /boot/grub is mounted read/write, it can sometimes
happen that the filesystem gets corrupted such that it gets mounted read-only.

You need to install hfsprogs in this case, run fsck.hfs and remount the filesystem rw:

# apt install hfsprogs
# umount /boot/grub
# fsck.hfs -y /dev/sda2 (for the case that /boot/grub came from /dev/sda2)
# mount /dev/sda2 /boot/grub

After that, run update-grub:

# update-grub

After rebooting, graphics should work.

FWIW, you can also boot the machine with "nomodeset" added to the command line
in GRUB in case SSH is not available.

Future images will install the graphics firmware automatically.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz