Re: Older PHP Versions

Hi David!

On 2/5/22 23:30, David Brown wrote:
> New to posting here, so please excuse my dumb questions.

No worries, that's what the list here is for :-).

> I finally got Debian working on my Powermac G5. Since it appears this
> is bleeding edge version (SID) it installed PHP 8.1. I have apps that
> will not run on that php version. Is there any archive(?) available to
> download and install an older php version?

Yes, you can use the website snapshot.debian.org which exists for this
very reason:

> http://snapshot.debian.org/

Please follow the instructions and search for the "php7.0", "php7.1" or
"php7.4" packages. If you run into any problems, please post your questions
to the list.

>  Why is there there not a “stable” version available?

For being able to provide a stable release, we need an instance of the Britney
service [1] which provides testing migration and quality assurance. We don't
have that for Debian Ports, yet, unfortunately.

It's a long-time goal to achieve that, however.

> Thanks for the efforts to keep Debian available for this old hardware.

You're welcome.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz