Re: GRUB installation fails on latest ISO

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 6:54 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 9/19/21 00:24, Alex McKeever wrote:
> > I just tried installing the latest version of Debian Ports on my iMac G3
> > and well it fails to install GRUB. Falling back to April’s installation
> > media (which I have on hand) that doesn’t have this problem that has seemingly
> > cropped up again with the latest batch of images.
>
> Yes, that image doesn't work. The previous image does work, however.
>
> The reason why the current image doesn't work is because it does not contain a
> manually build debian-installer package which is currently necessary because
> the hfsprogs-udeb [1] package has not been accepted into unstable yet.
>
> So, please use the powerpc and ppc64 images from [2].
>
> > [1] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/hfsprogs_540.1.linux3-5.html
> > [2] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-04-17/

Have you considered running a repo with the fixes that Debian does not
pick up or provide in a timely manner?

There's little sense waiting for Debian since Debian is the barrier in
the process. If Debian did not want to be a barrier, then they would
have done something by now. It probably won't change anytime soon.

A repo run by you to work around Debian's issues seems like a perfect
fix. You are active in the development and you are aware of the open
issues that need to be worked around.

A repo run by you would probably reduce mailing list messages since
things would start to "just work", which is what most users want.

Adding a repo to sources.list or apt.conf.d is really easy. Once a
user is aware they need to do it, there should be no more problems due
to packages and availability.

Jeff