Re: Updated installer images 2021-04-16 🎉

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021, at 5:30 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 4/16/21 1:57 PM, Johannes Brakensiek wrote:
> >
> > On 16 Apr 2021, at 13:54, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >
> >> But the image is blessed in HFS vocabulary. If you insert such a CD and press the <Option>
> >> key during boot, the CD will be selectable during boot.
> >
> > Ok, good to know. Then I suppose the Mac’s firmware just won’t detect it if it’s copied to a USB stick?
>
> It could be that the blessing gets lost when putting it onto a USB disk.
>
> I verified that when burnt to a CD, the image will show up in <Option>
> menu with
> an icon (which we can switch to a Debian swirl maybe later). But I
> don't know about
> OpenFirmware at the moment to know how to reproduce this behavior with
> a USB stick.

I vaguely remember having read somewhere that the "boot with option key" on PowerPC machines does not examine USB disks for bootable partitions.  It does know about Firewire disks, and ATA/SATA disks, but just not USB disks.

The workaround is to boot directly into OpenFirmware (CMD-OPT-O-F) and give it a boot command tailored for your USB disk.  For other options see -- http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.shtml and the apple tech info library articles -- https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/navigation/index.html#topic=Technical+Notes&section=Resource+Types

Hope that helps!