Re: Help with yaboot configuration

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 2:12 AM Bob McGowan <ramjr0915@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a B&W G3 which I have upgraded to 1G RAM.  It also has an Adaptec
> SCSI controller I added to use with a 32G LVD SCSI disk.  It also has
> the original SCSI 9G SCSI disk on which I've been able to install OSX
> 10.4.2, initially.
>
> It has since upgraded to 10.4.11, if that is useful to know.
>
> I have booted both Ubuntu and Debian Linux from CD and installed both,
> at different times, on the 32G disk.  Currently I have Ubuntu 14.4
> installed.
>
> The problem is that the Adaptec controller is not recognized by
> OpenFirmware and so the system cannot boot directly to it.
>
> I was working with NetBSD 9 for a while and with the proper setup, I
> could load the kernel from the known 9G disk and have it set root to the
> second drive.
>
> I would like to do the same or similar with Linux but have so far not
> been able to figure out how to do this.
>
> I have probably copied more to the 9G disk than really needed but even
> so, it fails.  I have recreated the contents of /boot on the OSX disk,
> including symlinks.  I start from OF with the command:
>
>      boot  /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/scsi@4/@0:6,/yaboot
>
> This generates an error about invalid partition type and a boot prompt.
> I then try, at yaboot's boot prompt:
>
>      /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/scsi@4/@0:6,/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda3
>
> The kernel prints a bunch of normal type lines, then panics because it
> can't find the root device.  It also reports a list of partitions it can
> find.  The only disks are the ram disk (partitions 0-15) and sr0.
>
> This looks like it is missing drivers for the SCSI cards, but the CD
> kernel had no problems and I thought the kernel placed on sda3 would
> have them also.  That kernel is what I copied to the 9G disk.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this correctly?

In case you have not seen the pages, here's Debian's page on
PowerMacs: https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/pmac.

There may be some firmware available, but I don't know how to load it
during installation with one of the current ISOs. I ran into that
trouble last week. Also see https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware and
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/archive/.

Jeff