Re: Updated installer images 2020-12-02

On 12/29/20 2:09 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> If I install one of those images, yaboot gets installed and gets loaded at reboot,
> although boot finally fails with "unknown or corrupt filesystem" when loading the
> kernel. I used standard partitioning.

Yaboot requires the /boot partition to be ext2 or ext3, it won't work with the ext4
in Debian unstable. This is one of the many reasons why I prefer GRUB.

> Maybe I am bitten by the fact that the installer partitioned ext4 root, but yaboot
> doesn't know about it. I will retry with a separate /boot

Use a separate /boot partition with ext2 or ext3.

> I did a very minimal install, only system utilities, since there are no "sid" repositories
> and the installer will try to find sid even if a port mirror is given as URL.

Yes, that was still broken in the old installation images and was fixed in later images.

> Still, I think it is "proof enough", yaboot gets loaded - the same thing should happen to GRUB.

Then try installing GRUB manually as explained here:

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB_on_Open_Firmware_(PowerPC)

> Also, this allowed me another important test: if "alt" is hit at boot, one hard disk is shown with
> a Penguin - this means that OpenFirmware sees the partition as bootable.
>
> Does your iBook G4 run GRUB and does the same? I cannot access mine right now due to lockdown restrictions.

I cannot currently perform any installations on the iBook G4 due to the issues with glibc
and partman.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz