Re: Successfully installed Debian 10 on Lombard G3 PowerMac

On 12/28/20 9:54 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> The lombard was a wonderful computer, I had one too in the past ,but it had some
> strange reliabilty issues (I had to hit the poweron button several times and/or
> wait for minutes with the machine plugged in to have it actually boot) I replaced
> with iBook G3 which, at the end, has similar performance, but less fun.
>
> Could you try also the latest snapshot Adrian prepared?

GRUB-based images won't work on these machines as their firmware is too old.

> How did you handle the installation of the bootloader manually? I suppose though tat
> you are speaking of yaboot. I am struggling to find ways to manually install and
> configure GRUB.

Installing GRUB manually is explained here:

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB_on_Open_Firmware_(PowerPC)

> Have you tried forcing the card to 16bit and disabling certain acceleration features?
>
> My iBook G3 which runs debian+yaboot succesfully since some years, had similar issues.
> Unfortunately the old ATI driver got severed when the transition from XAA to EXA
> happened.

Do you mean that the driver package was removed? If yes, the driver packages are still
available on snapshot.debian.org.

> Adrian cited on one side ease of support, since other PPC computers use yaboot

No, other PPC machines use GRUB as well as many other architectures. The advantage of GRUB
is that it's cross-platform and therefore reduces maintenance burden on our side.

> and, on the other side, the issue that yaboot only recognizes HFS and not HFS+ partitions

HFS vs. HFS+ is a matter of the firmware, not the bootloader. The bootloader is just concerned
with the filesystem type used for the partition that /boot resides on.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz