Re: Updated installer images 2020-12-02

On 12/5/20 4:36 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> I need to follow here and be more clear. More precise. The machine does
> not boot to a black screen. It makes the usual Apple chime and then this
> is shortly followed by a grey screen with a flashing "folder" icon in
> the center. This seems to indicate that the machine can not find a boot
> sector or boot loader on the default boot device. If I leave the install
> dvd in the dvd drive then the blinking folder goes away after about five
> seconds and I get the grub menu from the installer.  Here I can select
> expert mode and setup a few things and even get to a shell with strange
> "busybox" wherein the "ls" command does not support the letter "b" or
> the letter "p" option.  That always bothers me but it is an aside. In
> any case this is not a black screen. It is a grey screen with a flashing
> folder icon and that will sit there forever if the dvd is empty.

I have seen something similar on my PowerPC systems that use Yaboot.
Are you able to boot anything holding down the Option key?  On my G5, I
will occasionally see the flashing folder icon, but it will start
working again after I boot into Mac OS X using the Option key and then
reboot.  If that fails, I boot the Debian DVD in rescue mode, go into my
distribution and save the Yaboot configuration (ybin -v).  Perhaps
re-installing your GRUB configuration would be a workaround?  I suspect
that there may be an issue with the partitioner, or something else that
occasionally causes the AppleBoot partition to become corrupt or not
readable, but I'm not sure how to test that.