Re: AW: debian-ports source packages

Hello!

On 9/1/20 9:14 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> You could donate powerpc hardware so that Debian can do various tests
> on powerpc, for example package tests and reproducible builds tests.
>
> https://ci.debian.net/
> https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/reproducible.html

Actually, that wouldn't really be necessary as all the IBM POWER machines
we have in Debian can operate in bi-endian mode.

In fact, the POWER machine that IBM donated to Debian Ports for the big-endian
PowerPC ports is running a little-endian Debian Buster. The KVM virtual machines
for the buildd and porterbox are running in big-endian mode.

> You could work on fixing build failures on powerpc:
>
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi?arch=powerpc

Ah, didn't know UDD had an FTBFS section, handy.

FWIW, both 64-bit and 32-bit big-endian PowerPC are in very good shape these
days with the IBM folks maintaining the toolchain for both 32-bit and 64-bit
PowerPC.

While the 32-bit parts of the kernel are probably less maintained due to the
fact that there is hardly any new hardware coming, the IBM kernel developers
are still touch the code and making changes and if something breaks they also
usually fix it.

So, from the technical point of view, it wouldn't be a problem to make both
"powerpc" and "ppc64" release architectures (unlike sparc64, for example)
since we have sufficient and new server hardware available and the large
majority of binary packages build fine on both architectures (over 13,000
packages).

The only major things that are missing are NodeJS, Chrome and Golang and that's
mainly because these upstream projects outright refuse to support anything that
they don't consider mainstream.

> You could work on powerpc-specific bug reports:
>
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org&tag=powerpc
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=debian-boot@lists.debian.org&tag=powerpc
>
> You could help maintain the powerpc wiki/web pages:
>
> https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/
> https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC
>
> You could help maintain the general ports wiki/web pages:
>
> https://www.debian.org/ports/
> https://wiki.debian.org/Ports
>
> You could help Debian more generally:
>
> https://www.debian.org/intro/help

Good ideas! I concur!

>> we can't just share our deb packages, or could we?
>
> If you're rebuilding security updates there isn't any Debian suite
> where they could be uploaded as Debian ports doesn't have support for
> stable or security support. There is potential for the unofficial ports
> to get releases, but that requires lots of Debian infrastructure work.

Yes, we would need our own proper instance of DAK (Debian Archive Kit)
first as opposed to Mini-DAK. And then we would need an instance of
the Britney service which is responsible for testing support among
other things.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz