Re: AW: debian-ports source packages

On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 15:14 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> [Moving to debian-powerpc as we are getting off-topic on debian-
> snapshot]
>
> On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 06:14 +0000, Budweiser Gregor wrote:
>
> > Our hardware does not support 64bit
>
> Interesting, what hardware do you have?

We have powerpc e500 (freescale) based embedded devices.

> > what could we do to help debian-ports?
>
> I'm not involved in the powerpc port, folks on the debian-powerpc
> mailing list can probably help you more, but some initial ideas:
>
> You could add support for your hardware to Linux mainline:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/
>
> You could donate powerpc hardware so that Debian can do various tests
> on powerpc, for example package tests and reproducible builds tests.
>
> https://ci.debian.net/
> https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/reproducible.html
>
> You could work on fixing build failures on powerpc:
>
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi?arch=powerpc
>
> You could work on powerpc-specific bug reports:
>
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org&tag=powerpc
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=debian-boot@lists.debian.org&tag=powerpc
>
> You could help maintain the powerpc wiki/web pages:
>
> https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/
> https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC
>
> You could help maintain the general ports wiki/web pages:
>
> https://www.debian.org/ports/
> https://wiki.debian.org/Ports
>
> You could help Debian more generally:
>
> https://www.debian.org/intro/help
>
> > we can't just share our deb packages, or could we?
>
> If you're rebuilding security updates there isn't any Debian suite
> where they could be uploaded as Debian ports doesn't have support for
> stable or security support. There is potential for the unofficial
> ports
> to get releases, but that requires lots of Debian infrastructure
> work.

Ah, I see. We are looking at the vulnerabilities to see if we are
affected. Maybe we can get away with some paperwork. :)

I'll have a look at the build failures if time allows, but it'll have
to be in my spare time.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Gregor