Re: GRUB doesn't install

Le sam. 25 juil. 2020 à 20:48, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> a écrit :
> -prom-env 'boot-device=hd:,\\BootX'

Nope; however going for the full paths (both device from syslog and
file from looking in the partition - turns out it mirrors OSX's
bootloader) like this:

-prom-env 'boot-device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@c/ata-3@20000/@0:2,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX'

loaded grub, so it's on the drive. At that point there's no grub.cfg,
so you just get the command-line. Instead of figuring out how to load
the kernel, I just re-booted the VM with -kernel/-initrd/-append, then
re-installed grub (it re-failed with the same error, of course), then
did a manual update-grub to get the grub.cfg.

After that, using the '-prom-env' above allowed me to boot the VM
directly. There were some errors/warnings from the firmware it seems,
but I eventually got a login prompt.

Out of curiosity, I installed a newer kernel (the CD installer used
5.6, I added 5.7), install was flawless including the update of
grub.cfg, and the VM rebooted directly on 5.7.

So it seems if qemu let 'nvsetenv' do its thing, the installer would
have no issue (at least with this particular firmware/qemu
combination).

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau