Re: iMac G3 support in Sid, Impossible?

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:07:43PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 4/21/20 10:59 PM, Michael Cree wrote:
> > My personal observations of the public discussions of the Debian
> > Release and DSA teams is that serious concerns were raised about
> > both the appearance of a lack of upstream toolchain support and the
> > continued absence of Debian Porters for the powerpc port despite
> > that fact being raised in this very forum.
>
> To be fair, toolchain support for 32-bit PowerPC has always been pretty
> good with a few bugs here and there and most PowerPC stuff, even the
> 32-bit parts, is maintained by IBM employees.

Yes, but I get the impression that "pretty good" is not considered good
enough for a release architecture.  Whatever, powerpc had toolchain bugs
that had been highlighted for a number of months, that were holding it
back and that had no evidence of a fix forthcoming at the time it was
kicked out.  While I was disappointed by the decision, I nevertheless
think it was dropped out on a well justified basis and could not
complain.

> Overall, 32-bit PowerPC is basically on par with 32-bit
> MIPS(el) which is still a release architecture.

Having said the above, I do not deny that there does seem to be some
inequity in applying the standards, but I don't see much point in
getting into discussions down that track.

> 64-bit PowerPC (big-endian) is nearly on par with the little-endian port,

So what? This discussion is about 32-bit powerpc.

Cheers,
Michael.