Re: iMac G3 support in Sid, Impossible?

On 4/21/20 10:59 PM, Michael Cree wrote:
> My personal observations of the public discussions of the Debian
> Release and DSA teams is that serious concerns were raised about
> both the appearance of a lack of upstream toolchain support and the
> continued absence of Debian Porters for the powerpc port despite
> that fact being raised in this very forum.

To be fair, toolchain support for 32-bit PowerPC has always been pretty
good with a few bugs here and there and most PowerPC stuff, even the
32-bit parts, is maintained by IBM employees.

>From my knowledge, they even have PowerMacs available where they test
kernel changes. Overall, 32-bit PowerPC is basically on par with 32-bit
MIPS(el) which is still a release architecture.

64-bit PowerPC (big-endian) is nearly on par with the little-endian port,
with a few exceptions here and there. Even OpenJDK JIT is still supported
there and Golang.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz