Re: iMac G3 support in Sid, Impossible?

Hi Alex!

On 2020-04-16 19:46:19 +0200 Alex McKeever <alex.mckeever@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I was told that the kernel is why it doesn’t work 100%... that it needs
> User Space Modesetting and thus needs an older kernel like 2.6, 3.13 or
> 4.4.0-187 to work properly at all with the Rage128. I’d hate to say it but
> I’ve lost faith in Debian/Ubuntu. I will be giving Adelie Linux a shot
> because nothing else modern enough supports the iMac G3’s in terms of
> Linux. BSD is a nightmare.

Wait wait... let's not spread this false news. There must be a specific issue that surely can be solved.

I am on a counch right now, typing this mailon my faithful iBook G3 Clamshell "Tangerine"!
I am runnig Debian and compiled GNUMail and am using that, in the meanwhile I am getting 4h+ Battery life and the Battey Monitor of GNUstep confirms that, it has specific support for the APU written by yself and continues to work with latest kernels.
Granted, Xorg has been a little slow since the EXA/XAA switch because of poor support by the old graphic card, but it works.
I updated Debian "today" so running all latest! Thanks to all work done by the fellows here on PowerPC.

Kernel:
Linux fuchur 5.5.0-2-powerpc #1 Debian 5.5.17-1 (2020-04-15) ppc GNU/Linux

Specs:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 44-46 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 299.999997MHz
revision        : 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
bogomips        : 33.28

timebase        : 16644983
platform        : PowerMac
model           : PowerBook2,1
machine         : PowerBook2,1
motherboard     : PowerBook2,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 64 (iBook (first generation))
pmac flags      : 0000000d
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld
Memory          : 160 MB

My videocard is  even lower than yours:
 atyfb: fb0: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI

Riccardo