Re: iMac G3 support in Sid, Impossible?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 at 23:45, aggaz <aggaz@paranoici.org> wrote:
> Il 18/04/20 23:22, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:
> >
> > Rather, he has most likely issues getting X running on his iMac G3 and
> > I assume it's a similar issue as seen on the eMac [1].
>
> I had the chance to play both with an eMac G4 and a iMac G3 in the past.
> Both machines have CRT monitors and ATI video cards.
> To the best of my knowledge, for both machines "black screen of death"
> issues started with Jessie [1].
> I strongly believe the two issues are similar.
>
> The email that Adrian is reporting is the first promising approach to
> find a solution for eMacs that I saw in the last years.
>
> I think it could be worth to create an EDID binary for the iMac G3 too.
> Unfortunately I do not have access to one anymore.

Both these machines have CRTs that have non standard timings and don't
provide EDID data. However, I don't believe the approach used for eMac
will work on iMac G3.

The eMac GPU driver uses KMS, so providing an EDID binary to the KMS
DRM helper early enough in the boot solves the problem.

The iMac G3 GPU drivers still use UMS, so, assuming UMS still works
with new kernels (don't see why not) and X.org (not certain but I
think so), all that should be needed is the correct driver installed
and an xorg.conf with the correct modelines (the same as it always has
been for these machines).

>From what Riccardo said, you need to install xserver-xorg-legacy and
(I guess) x-server-xorg-video-r128 or xserver-xorg-video-mach64
(depending on your machine). Then just drop one of the many available
iMac G3 xorg.conf files into the right place.

Or maybe I am missing something?

Best,
Ed