Re: Performing installer tests on PowerMac with USB sticks

On 4/30/19 21:56, Linux User #330250 wrote:
Despite what others said, it should really work with every Macintosh
that has the NewWorld bootrom and thus at least Open Firmware 3.0, i.e.
starting with the iMac "Bondi" 1998 and the PowerBook G3 "Lombard" 1999.

And, it's all already written down in a nice way.[1] Don't read on when
you are happy with this official guide.

Or read this:
* http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384
* https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html
*
https://sites.google.com/site/shawnhcorey/howto-boot-apple-powerpcs-from-a-usb-drive-in-open-firmware

The long read: I wanted to share my own experience as well...
[...]

Good write-up! Thanks for posting this.

For what it's worth, USB booting on a Power Mac is alwayy trial and
error. Write down what works. I heard that it should be possible to
define a new devalias somehow...

OpenBoot has NVRAMRC, specifically `nvalias` to store a devalias in
NVRAMRC. See e.g [1]. IIRC I've seen a nvramrc environment var in OF,
too, but not sure.

[1]: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E63648_01/html/E63649/gpsjv.html

Cheers,
Frank