Re: Performing installer tests on PowerMac with USB sticks

Hi,

aggaz wrote:
> Are ISO images capable to boot with GRUB instead of yaboot already
> available for the masses? If so I would like to try to boot one.

There is a GRUB_INSTALL_PLATFORM_POWERPC_IEEE1275 for which
grub-mkrescue produces bootable ISOs. I understand that the ISO gets
prepared with HFS+ for this platform if a directory

  /usr/lib/grub/powerpc-ieee1275

exists with the files from

  https://packages.debian.org/sid/ppc64el/grub-ieee1275-bin/filelist

A merely bootable ISO which leads to a GRUB console prompt is produced
by:

  mkdir minimal
  touch minimal/empty-file.txt
  grub-mkrescue -o output.iso minimal

output.iso is supposed to contain an Apple Partition Map and a HFS+
superblock with directory tree. I expect it to be prepared for booting
from CD, DVD, and USB stick.
(DVD+RW is about as easy to overwrite as an USB stick. Either with
 a burn program or with plain dd and sync.)

If you see a GRUB prompt, then the equipment suffices and the storage
device works for booting.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas