Re: Tests on new 2019-04-09 image on PPC64

Hello!

Thanks for the additional tests.

On 4/10/19 1:45 PM, aggaz wrote:
After changing the permissions of mkhfs-bootstrap.sh GRUB was properly
installed. During GRUB's installation I was asked by the installer:
"Force GRUB installation to the EFI removable media path?"
I was unsure about what to reply and I kept the default "NO".

Hmm. I wonder where this message comes from. PowerPC machines don't use
EFI, so this message should never show up.

This is due to the lower debconf priority in expert mode installations
and because there's no check done for the architecture in the relevant
code part. I already had a fix for that but it had nothing to do with
GRUB support on powerpc/ppc64 so we decided to keep that out of the
patch set that fixes the GRUB support on powerpc/ppc64 (see [1]).

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00050.html

The relevant code part starts at [2].

[2]:
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/grub-installer/blob/master/grub-installer#L880

I can create a MR to fix this.

Installation was correctly finished and after reboot I had grub showing up.
Newly installed system was booted but not correctly.
Systemd waited a while for "a start job is running for /dev/sdc2" (the
partition where GRUB was installed).
Then I saw:
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/sdc2.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /boot/grub.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Syestem.

Could you share the /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg of the installed
system?

We should use UUIDs for the partition names as device names are unreliable
and might change after a reboot.

Apart from that, if systemd ever decides that a FS check is required for
the HFS bootstrap partition on boot, it won't work on ppc64 anyhow, as
the fsck.hfs segfaults on ppc64 (see [3]). We hope this will be fixed
with the next release of hfsprogs for Debian.

[3]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919532

Cheers,
Frank