Re: baffled .. the 2019-01-27 debian-10.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso not bootable

On 4/6/19 10:48 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Not sure how you got beyond the issue with the "local" keyword outside
> of a function in zfs-devices, but could you also provide a screenshot of
> the log around where you started the grub installation step?

I just found out the reason. partman-zfs is actually a removed package
that is no longer being maintained [1]. It's actually not present for
powerpc [2] but ppc64 [3] which is why the problem shows on ppc64 but
not powerpc.

debian-installer automatically installs all udebs that ship with it, so
if there is a partman-zfs udeb, it gets installed and if it's old and
unmaintained, it will eventually cause problems. Apparently, the package
never caused troubles until busybox was updated to 1.30.

Packages that get deleted for the release architectures may sometime remain
on the Debian Ports mirrors and have to be deleted manually by Aurelien
Jarno who maintains these servers.

I will ask Aurelien to purge partman-zfs from the Ports archive but also
build new images later today with just partman-zfs excluded from the
CD build with the help of a ppc64_udeb_exclude [4].

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz