Re: baffled .. the 2019-01-27 debian-10.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso not bootable

It’s *possible* that the DVD drive in the dual-socket machine is not able to boot from DVD-RW.  (I have seen this before occasionally)

Try burning to a DVD-R

Just a thought…
Rick

PS:  Also note that Adrian is in the process of making an updated boot CD for PowerPC64.  See the recent mail in the Debian PowerPC list.