parallel buildd instances in chroots on same host?

I'm investigating why openldap failed its tests on powerpc:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=openldap&arch=powerpc&ver=2.4.48%2Bdfsg-1&stamp=1564255370&raw=0

The test001-slapadd failed because ldapsearch returned different data than expected. The test script is simple, it just imports data into an empty database (offline) and then starts slapd and tries to read back the same data using ldapsearch (online).

It looks like the powerpc and ppc64 builds were running in parallel, on kapitsa and kapitsa2 respectively. If these builds were running in different chroots on the same host, then the test failure can be explained by ldapsearch returning data from a slapd instance started by the other build.

Am I correct about the two chroots on the single host, and is this a common setup for Debian buildds? I had assumed builds were typically run in isolated VMs.

The test suite supports customizing the port numbers (by an environment variable), so I could randomize that in debian/rules. However the test suite doesn't have a way to check whether the chosen port is already in use, or whether slapd actually started successfully, so the risk of collision can't be completely eliminated.

For now, could you please give back openldap/2.4.48+dfsg-1 on powerpc?

Thank you,
Ryan