Re: Switching debian-installer CD images to GRUB

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> So, the first question is whether xorriso supports HFS volumes

No. Only HFS+, contributed by Vladimir Serbinenko for x86 Macs and
used in grub-mkrescue ISOs for x86 EFI.
The xorrisofs options used by grub-mkrescue for HFS+ are:
  -hfsplus
  -apm-block-size 2048
  -hfsplus-file-creator-type chrp tbxj \
                             /System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label
  -hfs-bless-by i /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Is ppc64 the same as GRUB_INSTALL_PLATFORM_POWERPC_IEEE1275 in
grub-mkrescue ?
This target obviously gets the same HFS+ options as
GRUB_INSTALL_PLATFORM_I386_EFI and GRUB_INSTALL_PLATFORM_X86_64_EFI.

One could do it with HFS like Fedora ISO does with HFS+.
A small HFS+ filesystem image is marked in APM as Apple_HFS. In the ISO
it has the name /images/macboot.img.
(Could be easily added to current amd64 or i386 debian-cd production.
 With arm64-like layout i'd need to make experiments and maybe add
 some APM production capability to xorriso.)

The Fedora HFS image contains GRUB stuff. Mostly .cfg and .efi. Obviously
program execution breaks out from it like others do from EFI partition.
I think Fedora uses hfsutils to create and populate it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas