Re: GRUB Error on 04-12 Images

On 4/15/19 3:19 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>> Mk-hfs-bootstrap: the HFS bootstrap partition couldn't be found. Cannot continue! Exiting.
>> Main-menu: cat: can't open /var/lib/partman/devices/=dev=SDB/string of numbers/mountpoint: no such file or directory
>> WARNING**: Configuring grub-installer failed with error code 1
>
> Not sure, I'd say it behaves correctly:
>
> In [1] I showed that one manually cannot create an HFS bootstrap
> partition that is "marked" correctly for `mk-hfs-bootstrap.sh` to accept
> it for use. I.e. the mount point requirement cannot be met when creating
> the partition manually. This makes `mk-hfs-bootstrap.sh` exit with `1`
> (see [2]), which in turn should make `grub-installer` exit with `1` (see
> [3]), which it actually did.
>
> But it could be that the message starting with "Main-menu: [...]" is
> stderr fallout from `mk-hfs-bootstrap.sh`, so I maybe should direct
> stderr to `/dev/null` in the command substitutions in the if clause
> starting at [4]. OTOH I wonder why this would be printed out after the
> message from "mk-hfs-boostrap.sh" which comes later.

Well, the above excerpt shows that the script tries to read an invalid
path which might the result of one of the commands returning an error
instead of a usable path. I haven't looked at the details yet.

The point is that it should not try to read the path if the command before
that failed.

>> I assume that Noah typed that message instead of copying it (from the "string
>> of numbers"), but that that "=dev=SDB=" looks very suspicious unless it is
>> a copy-and-paste error. It definitely needs to be investigated.
>
> I'd say it's a copy-and-paste error and should read "=dev=sdb" - also
> because the identifier of the `mk-hfs-bootstrap.sh` output starts with a
> capital letter in what Noah wrote, and that is not the case in the
> source code.

But "=dev=sdb" is not valid path specifier either unless I am missing
something.

> I see two options:
>
> * We either check that all requirements for the HFS bootstrap partition
> are met during the partitioning step and provide a dialogue with the
> requirements if not (like it was done for yaboot). Will only work for
> automatic partitioning (which still allows later user changes!). You
> already spoke about such an option.

This needs to go in anyway to keep users from creating a broken
partitioning setup when partitioning manually.

> * Or we remove the last requirement (designated mount point is
> `/boot/grub`) as described on [1]. Will work both for automatic and
> manual partitioning.

I will have a closer look at the script again to figure out where the
"=dev=sdb" comes from. That's clearly broken.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz