Re: rescue of install / booting from USB

Hi Frank!

good news.

On 1/3/19 8:13 AM, Frank Scheiner wrote:

Afterwards maybe check a hash (e.g. SHA256) of the file on both sender and receiver to be sure it was transferred intact. When chrooted to the actual installation, you should have hfsutils around (`/proc` and `/sys` might need to be mounted). First - if it is mounted - unmount the HFS partition with `umount`, then (pseudo)mount it again with `hmount`, then use `hattrib -t tbxi -c UNIX yaboot`. Afterwards, `humount` the HFS partition and try a reboot with the older yaboot from disk.

I was able to transfer the yaboot of the debian 7.11 disk to the HFS boot partition and thus boot the previously installed debian.

Strangely, I was unable to mount the HFS partition when using the "shell", or, better, it always mounted read-only (I do wonder how the installer is capable of installing Yaboot then).

However, mounting the target root and chrooting (proc, sys and dev need to be mounted to be able to mount under the chrooted environment succesfully).

Luckily, the installer image has a yaboot file in it in the installer directory.

Voilà, I was able to boot and continue installation, upgrading and installing and have again a working iBook.

I'm operative again!

I have a couple of issues though. This replacement I got is slightly different than the old one I had: 14" vs 12", hardware is slightly different (including the yaboot issue which did not happen on the 12")

Do we have a new reliable yaboot? I have the fear that at the next upgrade and thus install of its package, the computer will halt again (I made a back-up copy of the working yaboot file for safety)

I will describe these issues in separate mails to have clean threads!

I already started working again on ArcticFox... more to report on that too!

Riccardo