rescue of install / booting from USB

Hi all!

if you remember, I was able to install from CD-ROM to my hard disk of the iBook G4, but then I am unable to boot it because yaboot issues the dreaded "Decrementer exception".

I thought at first to try the trick I used for booting using the USB key and then from the CDROM also for booting from the HD, but it did not work.

Fine, why not try just booting a debian 8 image and see? I could tryi fixing yaboot (e.g. by installing the one just booted) or by installing debian 8 and then upgrading later.

I got the netinst iso on a USB stick just by doing on Linux (intel):

sudo dd if=debian-8.11.0-powerpc-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync

Is that fine on PPC too? I hope so.

To boot it, enter in Open-Firmware and "boot usb". I get into the First Stage GNU/Linux bootstrap and type "l" for GNU/Linux. I get:

Decrementer exception at  %SRR0: 001001d8  %%SRR1: 10003030

Am I sure I am booting from the USB key and not from HD or the two boot stages are getting mixed?

Or is 8.11.0 already "bad" ?

I tried 8.10.0 and I get the same decrementer exception.... so I ask :)

Riccardo