Re: rescue of install / booting from USB

On 1/3/19 00:53, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
On 1/1/19 7:48 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
now however I perhaps need some magic to fix things. I am able to get into the "ash" and mount my hard disk, so I have on /cdrom my local key stuff and in /mnt my target. I an also mount the small HFS partition which contains 3 files:

ofboot.b

yaboot

yaboot.conf

What could I do to transplant Yaboot ? Where does it live? I suppose both a file in the linux partition as well as one in the small HFS partition I have, right?

I thought that they USB key would also have two partition, mac-fdisk lists sdb1 and sdb2, sdb1 being mounted, but I cannot mount sdb2 (HFS), no device node exists for that

Any tricks off-heads for the frankenstein Yaboot I want to attempt?

If all else fails, you can still mount the original ISO on another machine and copy the included `yaboot` (from `/install`) to a convenient place. From there you can transfer it into the rescue system or directly to the HFS partition with e.g.:

On receiver:
```
nc -l -p 9000 > yaboot
```

On sender:
```
nc receiver 9000 < yaboot
```

Afterwards maybe check a hash (e.g. SHA256) of the file on both sender and receiver to be sure it was transferred intact. When chrooted to the actual installation, you should have hfsutils around (`/proc` and `/sys` might need to be mounted). First - if it is mounted - unmount the HFS partition with `umount`, then (pseudo)mount it again with `hmount`, then use `hattrib -t tbxi -c UNIX yaboot`. Afterwards, `humount` the HFS partition and try a reboot with the older yaboot from disk.

HTH,
Frank