Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel 4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 09/04/2018 05:29 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> I have a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the back of the test G5 here and that is
> not enough. I think yaboot is the problem and GRUB is needed.  However
> GRUB doesn't seem to exist for ppc64.  So an old server type monitor is
> left attached to the G5 for now.

GRUB works perfectly fine on powerpc and ppc64, even on Macs. You
can just install it. I don't remember whether there were additional
steps required for proper configuration but Frank Scheiner has done
extensive work on this topic. He has successfully tested GRUB on his
PPC Macs.

We're still working on making GRUB default for all PowerPC targets,
it's currently used by default only on IBM CHRP machines since the
installation on PowerPC Macs requires some extra work due to the
Mac boot partition setup.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz